BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] off-site storage

2014-08-14 12:25:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] off-site storage
From: Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 12:23:52 -0400
On 08/14 07:52 , Norman Goldstein wrote:
> Does anyone have experience with such a setup?
> -- Would that be an rsync protocol for BPC?  I suppose it depends on
> the cloud service,

Past experience has been that attempting to rsync the entire BPC data pool
is disastrous. There's too many files which leads to rsync using so much
memory that it crashes the machine.

Some people do have schemes for replicating the pool in pieces broken down
on a per-machine basis, but it's a bit kludgy. The recommended solution is
still to just set up another BPC server which has duplicate backups of all
the machines you wish to have offsite backups for.

I believe BPC v4 will make replication much easier, but I know nothing about
it.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator