BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC acting strangely

2014-07-18 13:18:20
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC acting strangely
From: Richard Stockton - Tierpoint Systems Administrator <Richard.Stockton AT tierpoint DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2014 10:16:42 -0700
After updating to the latest version of BackupPC, AND re-installing the
appropriate CPAN modules, AND deleting all the failed full backups,
things appear to be back to normal.

Much thanks to Les Mikesell for the help, really appreciated.
  - Richard

At 11:09 AM 7/10/2014, Les Mikesell wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 10, 2014 at 12:42 PM, Richard Stockton - Tierpoint Systems
>Administrator <Richard.Stockton AT tierpoint DOT com> wrote:
> > 2nd try: 1st didn't post to list...
> >
> > Isn't there anyone out there who has had a similar problem?  I can't
> > believe I'm the only one.  Further investigation shows the problem
> > is happening for almost all of my 14 hosts.
> >
> > Bottom line: The incrementals get (and create) all the files, but the
> > full backups only create empty directories.  No errors are shown in
> > the logs, and the GUI shows all the backups as complete.  When the
> > incrementals are deleted, the fulls don't have everything, and data
> > is permanently lost.
> >
> > This is using rsync between multiple CentOS (Linux) boxes.
> >
> > I REALLY need to get this fixed.  Anybody?  Please help.
>
>It doesn't make any sense to me.  There was a recent thread on the list:
>https://www.mail-archive.com/backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT
>net/msg26870.html
>which sounded similarly broken, but that was on ubuntu and fixed with
>a re-install.  My best guess would be that some perl module is
>corrupted (unless your xfer logs are full of 'can't link errors).
>
>If you installed the package from EPEL, you can use 'rpm -Vv BackupPC'
>to see if any of the package files have been changed since
>installation.
>
>--
>    Les Mikesell
>      lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

Richard Stockton
Senior Systems Engineer - Seattle
140 4th AVE N. #360 | Seattle, WA 98109
D 206.404.9500 T 888.234.6781
W http://www.tierpoint.com E richard.stockton AT tierpoint DOT com
Facilities in: Baltimore, Dallas, Oklahoma City, Tulsa, Spokane, Seattle