BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Uneffective rsync transfers?

2014-06-28 21:16:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Uneffective rsync transfers?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 20:15:30 -0500
On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 3:31 AM, František Starý <frantisek AT stary DOT net>
wrote:

>> Every file should show at least 2 links.  One for the name in the pc
>> tree where you are looking, and one under cpool where the name is a
>> hash of the contents.  But those files show a lot more.  If they
>> aren't being linked into the next backup number's tree (like they
>> should be), where are they?  And if they are, why can't you see them?
>>
> The count of hard links is high because all the testfiles have the same
> content and I have more backups and more testhosts. Its a proof the
> pooling works. But the merging of the backups made using rsync xfer
> method not (although using tar xfer method works good). Look at the
> backup number 1. It is a full backup, but contains only the newly added
> file.

That is the way an incremental should look at the filesystem level,
but the web view should fill it with the contents of the backing full.
  Fulls should be relinking the whole tree.

> The backup number 2 contains only a changes against the backup 1.
> And the backup number 3 only changes against the backup 2. The source
> directory has not changed during the backups 1,2,3...

I think you are the first person to report anything like that, at
least without seeing errors in the logs.   I don't know where to start
to debug it.  I'd be inclined to start with a fresh install in a VM to
get something that works normally and then try to compare the systems.