BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Uneffective rsync transfers?

2014-06-30 14:54:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Uneffective rsync transfers?
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 13:53:14 -0500
On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 2:55 AM, Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
wrote:

> But I have to correct myself. Building an incorrect view can't be the cause,
> because then the file would simply be transfered (and logged as "pool" instead
> of "same"). Maybe we should think more closely about the rsync on the *remote
> end*, the host to be backed up. I'm not quite sure which side (of rsync) is
> responsible for doing the file list comparison, and I haven't really got the
> time to look right now, but failing to detect/signal unchanged files would
> result in exactly what you see.

I think what should be happening is that the remote side sends the
equivalent of a full directory tree listing, then both the backuppc
server and the remote walk the list comparing the contents with block
checksums.  In the case of fulls every file should be checked and
files that are the same should be logged as 'same' and linked into the
new backup tree.   This behavior doesn't make sense at all, but I
don't see how the remote side could miss sending the directory listing
for the files in the last backup, and then the server side should log
them as 'same', 'create', or 'pool'.