BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.0.0 - can we now store files to any filesystem?

2014-05-11 15:39:39
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC 4.0.0 - can we now store files to any filesystem?
From: Kamil Tunkiewicz <kamil.tunkiewicz AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 21:37:23 +0200
Thank you Benjamin.
After more carefully examining the NAS i found that it also provides NFS access, so my question is now obsolete.

But anyway - if the filesystem in NAS doesn't put too much limits (like path length, filenames etc.) I can expect that I can use CIFS to mount NAS filesystem into my filesystem and use if as backuppc storage. Am i right?

That information may be useful for people in small offices / homes, who have some kind of simple NAS device (for example so called "Network Drivers" with only SMB and FTP access) and would like to use it as data storage for backups.

Best regards
Kamil Tunkiewicz

On 11.05.2014 00:21, Kamil Tunkiewicz wrote:
> [...] This is a simple, cheap NAS for smal office usage and it provides SMB connectin so i was
> going to mount it to my filesystem and use it as data storage for backups.
> Is it possible?

There are more traps than links: filenames (character set, length) and
path length.

If you are out of ideas on Linux: check the fslint tool and it's manpage

As you didn't provide any concrete informations on your setup the
question is hard to answer precisely.

Regards,
Benjamin
--
FSU Jena | JULIELab.de/Staff/Benjamin+Rampe.html
vox: +49 3641 9 44323 | fax: +49 3641 9 44321