BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with Include and Exclude for a SMB backup

2013-10-11 17:05:02
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Issues with Include and Exclude for a SMB backup
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2013 16:51:50 -0400
David Williams <dwilliams AT dtw-consulting DOT com> wrote on 10/11/2013 04:41:09 PM:

> Ok,
>
> Tried the following and still not working.  I'd expect the following
> to just back up Users/dwilliams/My Photos, but still everything is
> getting backed up.  I guess I am just not understanding how this is
> supposed to work.

You very well may not.  But take solace:  this may be one of the very highest FAQ issues.  (Next to how to archive an entire BackupPC server...)

There are two parts to the exclude.  The first part is the share name.  That's the part that's labelled "key" in the gui.  In the case you included, it is set to "users".  Is "users" the name of the (SMB?) share you are using?

As I wrote in my previous message, start with "*" for the key for now.  That means that the excludes will be used on *all* shares for this host.  Either you only have one share, in which case it does not matter, or you have more than one and we can deal with that later.

In any case, once you have the key correct, you then define the path that you want excluded.  This would be the complete path FROM THE ROOT OF THE SHARE!

Here's a concrete example from one of my servers (that does *not* use a "*" for the key):

Key = D
Path = /Shares/Excluded

On my server, the share "D" is simply D:\.  Therefore, there is a folder on my server that is D:\Shares\Excluded and everything in that folder is, you guessed it, excluded.

Note a few things:  use UNIX slashes (which you did) and keep in mind that UNIX is case-sensitive.  I've never tested the excludes for that, but I assume it *is* case-sensitive:  it's safer that way.

Also, GUI's are nice, but learn to love the configuration files themselves.  It's a *LOT* easier to make sure you have everything correct that way, and moving exclusions to a new host is a very simple cut and paste away.

Here's the relevant part from the above example:

$Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
  'D' => [
    '/Shares/Excluded/'
  ]
};

Feel free to examine your config file and modify it to look more like that.  But remember that exclusions are from the path AS BACKUPPC SEES THEM:  (possibly) case-sensitive, with / delimiters and relative to the root of the SHARE, not necessarily of the Windows drive.

Also, check the XferLog that's generated for that host.  Here's an example of the first few lines of the above host:

incr backup started back to 2013-10-09 18:00:01 (backup #84) for directory D
Connected to flow:873, remote version 30
Negotiated protocol version 28
Connected to module D
Sending args: --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048 --recursive --one-file-system . .
Sent exclude: /Shares/Excluded

Notice that the exclude matches exactly what is in the config file.  Check and make sure the log matches what you think you're telling it to do.

I hope that helps!

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!