BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] simple backup scheme, 1xfull, 6xinc

2013-10-04 15:30:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] simple backup scheme, 1xfull, 6xinc
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 15:22:53 -0400
µicroMEGAS <micromegas AT mail333 DOT com> wrote on 10/04/2013 02:42:15 PM:

> I think here's my problem: let's say one or two host were not able to be
> backed up (incremental) Then I miss one or more incremental backups, so
> BackupPC doesn't delete the last Full after 7 days (when the new Full
> backup occurs). How can avoid that scenario? Should I decrease the
> FullIncrKeep to something lower? Any help appreciated.

The only way is to make sure that the number of incrementals you keep will fit between the fulls no matter what.  So, with weekly fulls, you could shrink the number of incrementals to, say, 5:  that way if one fails, you're still OK.  But if two fail, you will have a point where you will have THREE fulls remaining.

Or, do only full backups.  Because of pooling, the amount of space used for a full backup and an incremental backup is *IDENTICAL*.  The *only* advantage of incrementals over fulls is that they run in less time.  If you're able to do a full backup in enough time, you could simply switch FullPeriod to 0.97 and FullKeepCnt to 7 and let it go at that.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com