BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] simple backup scheme, 1xfull, 6xinc

2013-10-04 14:43:25
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] simple backup scheme, 1xfull, 6xinc
From: µicroMEGAS <micromegas AT mail333 DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2013 20:42:15 +0200
> Is that 1400MB before or after compression?  If before, I wouldn't
> expect a big problem.
Without compression, the raw data in summary (of all hosts)
>> But I am facing the problem, that I get up to 3-4 FullBackups for each
>> host and then the other host backups fail. I cannot explain why this
>> happens. I have red, that if an incremental backup is needed for the
>> last FullBackup or something like that, but to be hondest I didnt
>> understand that :(
> Are all of your backup runs completing every day?
>
> Each incremental run only stores the files that have changed since the
> previous full, although when you browse or restore they are merged
> with the backing full.  This means that (a) you will have at least 8
> copies of files that change every day (logfiles, databases, mail
> archives, etc.), and (b) the full runs that back the incremental are
> always kept.  Until you've done the 6th incremental after your current
> full, you need to keep the previous full and if you have missed any
> runs, your older incrementals might go with an even older full.

I think here's my problem: let's say one or two host were not able to be
backed up (incremental) Then I miss one or more incremental backups, so
BackupPC doesn't delete the last Full after 7 days (when the new Full
backup occurs). How can avoid that scenario? Should I decrease the
FullIncrKeep to something lower? Any help appreciated.