BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] simple backup scheme, 1xfull, 6xinc

2013-10-04 14:42:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] simple backup scheme, 1xfull, 6xinc
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:19:24 -0400
µicroMEGAS <micromegas AT mail333 DOT com> wrote on 10/04/2013 09:29:22 AM:

> I have red many times the manual and of course I tried many settings,
> still without luck. I have 30 hosts which have about 1400Megabytes of
> data in summary. As I am using a 2TB harddisk for my backuppc pool, I
> would like (am able) to have just one full backup for all of them. If
> it's possible to have 2 FullBackups due to deduplication, that would be
> nice. But one full Backup is enough, because I dont have more capacity.
> So I would like to have:
>
> - full backup, once a week
> - incremental backups, every day until next full backup is done
>
> I have configured:
>
> $Conf{FullPeriod} = '6.97';
> $Conf{IncrPeriod} = '0.97';
> $Conf{FullKeepCnt} = [1];

> $Conf{FullKeepCntMin} = '1';
> $Conf{FullAgeMax} = '6';
> $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = '6';
> $Conf{IncrKeepCntMin} = '3';
> $Conf{IncrAgeMax} = '14';
>
> But I am facing the problem, that I get up to 3-4 FullBackups for each
> host and then the other host backups fail.

Check the configuration for the Web GUI for that host.  What does it show for FullKeepCnt?

> I cannot explain why this
> happens.

Me either.  The only thing I can think of is that *you* think it's set correctly, but BackupPC does *NOT* and it's doing something else.  I'd use the GUI to check the configuration because that's going to show you exactly what BackupPC is using for the configuration.  If it thinks something other than what you pasted above, then you have a problem with your configuration files.

Also, show us the log file for a particular host (the entire thing) for a complete month.  It will help all of us to see what BackupPC is thinking.  (Using October won't be enough.)  For example, notice what a section of mine looks like:

2013-09-21 18:00:01 full backup started for directory D (baseline backup #69)
2013-09-22 01:56:54 full backup started for directory C (baseline backup #69)
2013-09-22 02:22:38 full backup 70 complete, 433302 files, 614928683948 bytes, 118 xferErrs (0 bad files, 0 bad shares, 118 other)
2013-09-22 02:22:38 removing full backup 49

Notice that it does a new full backup, *then* deletes aa now-obsolete full backup.  (In my case, it just did full backup 70 and removed backup 49 because I keep more than one full backup, spread out over months of time.)

We should see something similar from your log files as well.

> I have red, that if an incremental backup is needed for the
> last FullBackup or something like that, but to be hondest I didnt
> understand that :(

I assume you're a non-native English speaker (it would be "read", not "red"), so I'm trying to understand that sentence, but it's not a complete sentence so it's hard.  But here goes:  I think you have that backwards.  Incremental backups are based on full backups.  You can't have incrementals without fulls.  But full backups stand on their own:  they don't need incrementals.

But if there are incrementals that need to be kept, then the full they are based on will need to be kept, too.  That means that with 6 incrementals, you're going to have to keep *2* fulls around.

> I also tried $Conf{IncrKeepCnt} = '6'; then I stopped
> BackupPC, manually removed the backups within my pool harddisk, then I
> did a manually nightly_job cleanup with
> "/usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_nightly 0 255" and restarted BackupPC.

Don't forget that you have to remove the backups from the "backups" file, too.

> What am I doing wrong? I would really appreciate any assistance for my
> desired backup scheme. What are the correct values for my purpose? Thank
> you.

As described above, with incrementals, at some point you're going to have two fulls (because when you do a full, the incrementals will be based on a *previous* full which will be kept around).

However, it should be possible to have *only* two fulls, and with pooling you might be just fine with that.  You're saying you have three or more, so something else is wrong.

Like I said:  check what the GUI says the configuration should be.  FullKeepCnt should be 1, FullKeepCntMin should be 1, FullAgeMax should be much bigger (there's no disadvantage in having it be something like 90 or 180) but is not part of this issue.  The values you have for the variables above are fine (except change FullAgeMax).  I'm not sure, though, that BackupPC is actually *using* them.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com