BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] New Pool same issues

2013-08-30 15:22:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] New Pool same issues
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2013 15:20:49 -0400
MtK - SmartMtK wrote at about 19:08:38 +0300 on Friday, August 30, 2013:

 > >> Also, just to point out:
 > >> df/ls/du/find/etc on the external machine (where the NFS is) take
 > >> hours (!), so maybe it's not the NFS itself but the directory/file
 > >> structure.
 >
 > >This seems particularly important!
 > again, same behavior as when the pool was local, and that's why I couldn't
 > copy it to the new location.
 >
 > The new pool is on a ZFS filesystem, and df does work, so:
 >
 > dh -h = 310G
 >
 > df -i
 > Inodes   IUsed   IFree IUse%
 > 8989178480 5777551 8983400929    1%

Why are we assuming that taking even hours to do a 'du' or a 'find' on
a large filesystem with 10s or 100s of millions of small files
scattered all over is necessarily a 'bug'?

If you get the same behavior on ZFS and ext3, both locally and with
NFS, wouldn't the most logical explanation be that the problem is due
to some combination of the large number of scattered files along with
perhaps slow-ish disks and hardware?