BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] A few questions

2013-08-29 07:15:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] A few questions
From: Marco <listaddr AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2013 13:13:58 +0200
Hello all,

I used to use BackupPC some time ago and it was really great. Now I have a chance to use it for a project, and I have some (surely simple) question. Apologies if some of this is alswered already, pointers to documentations are welcome:

- Using rsync, what's the syntax to tell BackupPc to not backup any data for a given host? I only want to run a DumpPreUserCmd without dumping any data. I've tried every variation of $Conf{RsyncShareName} $Conf{BackupFilesExclude}. Among others, I thought unsetting $Conf{RsyncShareName} or using $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [ '/' ] and $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = [ '/' ] should work, but no luck, the whole / is still backed up. Of course I could create a dummy directory and back that up, but I think it should be possible to do what I'm trying to do.

- How do people run DumpPreUserCmd etc. on windows machines?

- In a host configuration file, if I try to redefine values coming from the main config by adding values to them (for example:

push @{$Conf{RsyncArgs}}, '-4';

to get the -4 extra option when backing up this particular host), the dump fails with "aborted with signal=PIPE". If I run the dump manually, I dee that the extra option is being used, but then the backup fails, here the full output (for localhost, but it fails equally woth any other host):

$ /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_dump -v -f localhost
cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /bin/ping -c 1 localhost
cmdSystemOrEval: finished: got output PING localhost (127.0.0.1) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from localhost (127.0.0.1): icmp_req=1 ttl=64 time=0.056 ms