BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?

2013-04-29 21:32:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restore after upgrade advice?
From: <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 21:31:03 -0400
Steve wrote at about 01:13:15 +0000 on Tuesday, April 30, 2013:
 > Or I should say I >could< get to the server before I tried to configure the
 > BackupPC server to point at my old backup.
 > The problem is that my backups are on an ext3 filesystem whereas my new
 > CentOS 6.4 is partitioned with ext4.
 >
 > I can use tune3fs to convert ext3 to ext4 but I'm a little nervous about
 > doing it. If it goes wrong, there go my backups.
 > On the other hand the backups are no use if I can't get to them.
 >
 > Anyone done this before? The h/w the backups are on is an external 1T USB
 > MyBook.

I'm confused... if your backups are on an ext3 filesystem then just
mount them ext3....
CentOS (like any *nix) can work with multiple filesystem types
simultaneously - ext2/3/4, ntfs, reiserfs, vfat, solaris, hfs,
etc.

In fact, 'mount' is usually able to figure out the filesystem type
automatically... worst case, if it can't specify "-t ext3" on the
command line or give the equivalent parameter in your fstab.

Saying "my new CentOS 6.4 is partitioned with ext4" really makes
no sense -- disks are partitioned, filesystems sit on individual
partitions and are formatted, the actual distro (CentOS 6.4) is not
partitioned nor does it have a fixed associated filesystem...

Perhaps, though I am not understanding your issue...