BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] multi platform backup system

2013-02-28 19:19:38
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] multi platform backup system
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 17:18:12 -0600
On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM, stuckeyneila1982
<backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
> thanks guys.  Im not sure if i like the idea of sharing folders on every
> computer just to backup.

Pretty much every windows machine has hidden admin shares for each
drive  (c$, etc.) by default.  Have you disabled them?  Otherwise all
you need is the administrator password.

> i really wanted bacula to work but just couldnt get it to go.  I see some
> great uses and user praises for bacula.  Anyone have any experience  with
> Nova backup server or dataserver.  Its expensive but im willing to pay if its
> good.

If you don't mind setting something on the target machines, you can
use rsync, with or without ssh.   You aren't likely to find anything
that can hold as much history in the same amount of disk space as
backuppc, free or not.