BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] multi platform backup system

2013-02-27 16:20:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] multi platform backup system
From: John Habermann <jhabermann AT cook.qld.gov DOT au>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 07:09:33 +1000
I did something similar a number of years ago comparing bacula and
backuppc and found that backuppc was much easier to set up. You don't
need to install any client software on the windows machines as
you can just make file shares availabel to the backuppc server.  I do
recommend that you look at http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/ if you
need a good way of backing up windows clients via rsync and including
any open files on the windows PC. While BackupPC works very well for
backing up the data on Windows computers but it is not able to do full
metal restores of a windows machine as far as I am aware. Installing it
on your ubuntu server is easy as it is available through apt-get. I
would recommend mounting /var/lib/backuppc on a separate partition or
lvm volume though as it makes it lot easier if you need to add more disk
space or move it to another machine.

On Wed, 27 Feb 2013 11:26:58 -0800
stuckeyneila1982 <backuppc-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:

> I have an small buisness and looking for a easy multi platform backup
> system.  I know how to get around the cli on windows and
> ubuntu/debian.  I have less than 12 computers all running win 7 pro
> except for the raid 1 file server running ubuntu 12.04 LTS server. Im
> looking for a solution to backup all pc's to the server. I have tried
> getting Amanda to work it was a no go.  Tried Bacula and couldnt get
> that to work either.  was thinking about rsync and delta copy.  But i
> would like to make snapshots of all pc's if possible.  I guess if i
> have to i could run clonezilla or ddrescue on each computer but would
> prefer to do a daily snapshot of all PC in office.  I cant seem to
> get it in my crews head to not surf too much the internet and get
> malware.  I am willing to pay for a solution if its worth it.

> |This was sent by stuckeyneila1982 AT gmail DOT com via Backup Central.

John Habermann
IT Officer
Cook Shire Council
10 Furneaux St