BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] need help with windows backup

2013-02-28 17:00:51
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] need help with windows backup
From: upen <upendra.gandhi AT gmail DOT com>
To: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 13:08:01 -0600
> And this may be your real problem.  Does your authentication work if
> you just back up the normal C$ share without the VSS stuff?

This is the think I should have had tried before (without VSS). I was
using cygwin/ssh/rsync method before, came to know from other
discussion that it doesn't use vshadow/VSS, so I just ditched that and
configured from fresh as in Michae's blog w/o paying much attention to
how it works or how I could have avoided VSS. That's good point to
know for future. I guess one can avoid using VSS by not using those
pre and post scripts on BackupPC server side? or windows side will
need to be modified in that case?

Also, would like to know from others if they can help me with 'at' issue.

Thanks! This software is cool! I mean BackupPC :)

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 9:53 AM, upen <upendra.gandhi AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
>
> Not sure I can help much with specifics here, but I think those
> 'Unknown parameter' errors are harmless and from a samba4 based winexe
> seeing your samba3 configs.
>
>> CheckHostAlive: returning 0.353
>> Executing DumpPreUserCmd: /tmp/backuppc/preusercmd.sh a.b.c.d
>> cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /tmp/backuppc/preusercmd.sh a.b.c.d
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "valid users"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "valid users"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "valid users"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "valid users"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "public"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "public"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "writable"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "writable"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "valid users"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "valid users"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "public"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "public"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "writable"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "writable"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "valid users"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "valid users"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "public"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "public"
>> Unknown parameter encountered: "writable"
>> Ignoring unknown parameter "writable"
>> Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.7
>> Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>>

>> /tmp/backuppc/preusercmd.sh: line 13: at: command not found
>
> That seems odd.  I don't see an 'at' command in the version of the
> script I found.  And most systems should have an 'at' in the path
> anyway.
>
>> full backup started for directory C (baseline backup #3)
>> started full dump, share=C
>> Connected to a.b.c.d:873, remote version 30
>> Negotiated protocol version 28
>> Error connecting to module C at a.b.c.d:873: auth failed on module C
>
> And this may be your real problem.  Does your authentication work if
> you just back up the normal C$ share without the VSS stuff?
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>      lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com

--
upen,
emerge -uD life (Upgrade Life with dependencies)