BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] is it possible to shortcut the 1st backup?

2012-11-26 23:06:36
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] is it possible to shortcut the 1st backup?
From: Matthew Grob <mgrob AT grobfamily DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 20:05:01 -0800
Ok - update on this:

-the client machine and the server are 2000 miles apart, at the end of
residential internet connections
-i have around 600G to backup (takes weeks to push across the links)
-I already have the entire set of files on the server machine - prior to
installing backupPC.
-i've installed backupPC and tested it and it works great - but i want to avoid
pushing the files across on the 1st backup
-i carefully prepared the local copy and the client machine's copy to have the
exact same path and file attributes.
-I then used backupPC to make a backup of those files on localhost.  that now
works too.

Ok - then i tried the final thing which is to start a backup from the client
machine.   It's running - and has been running all day.   However, while it's
running I am watching the disk status with
the  DF command, and it seems like the method is actually working - ie  the
disk usage is not growing much as the backup proceeds - but it's still taking
very long, as if it's still pulling the files across the link.

I'm wondering - is backupPC still moving the files across the link in this
case?  If so, the method wont help me in this case.

The _only_ difference I can tell in file attributes is the file owner.  the
date/time/path is identical between server and client.

Wondering if i'm missing any other detail here.

On Nov 26, 2012, at 9:21 AM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom <chrome AT real-time DOT
com> wrote:

On 11/25 06:25 , Matthew Grob wrote:
> But for some reason I cannot get the local backup to actually run.

Are you just trying to run the backups through the GUI; or have you tried
running BackupPC_dump by hand to watch the output?

user@backuppc:~$ su -
Password:
root@backuppc:~# su - backuppc
backuppc@backuppc:~$ /usr/share/backuppc/bin/BackupPC_dump -f -v
host.example.com

The output will give you some details that you don't see in the logs (such
as that you need to accept a changed ssh host key or the like).

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator