BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Checksumming entire drive on full backup

2012-11-26 22:37:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Checksumming entire drive on full backup
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2012 21:36:15 -0600
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM, Matt Bagley <matt22 AT inbox DOT com> wrote:
> I have checksum caching enabled, but it is hashing out the entire hard
> drive of both the server and the client during a full backup. My
> understanding is that when checksum caching is enabled BackupPC is only
> suppose to checksum a portion of the files during a full backup, not all
> of them.
>
> I verified the disk usage by using "iotop -a" (a disk usage utility) on
> both the client and the server, starting it when the full backup started
> and checking it every so often. It showed the total disk usage of the
> backup (rsync) at nearly the total size of all files in the backup. ie,
> it is reading all the files again.

The client side should always read the files to compute the checksums.
  After the 2nd full run with checksum caching enabled, the server
side should be able to use the cached checksums for unchanged files.
However, for changed files there will be quite a bit of disk activity
as the server copies the unchanged portions and merges in the
differences sent by the remote.