BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] is it possible to shortcut the 1st backup?

2012-11-25 13:08:25
Subject: [BackupPC-users] is it possible to shortcut the 1st backup?
From: Matthew Grob <mgrob AT grobfamily DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2012 10:06:32 -0800
Ok folks I've got everything up and running just fine now and am ready to
transition from my old manual rsync scripts to backupPC.   But for the 1st
backup I'm wondering if there is a way to shortcut the process.

Reason:  I have about 600G to backup, and the machine running backupPC is (at
my mom's house) far away.  It will take several weeks to push a new full backup
over the internet connections - but a full copy of the directories to be saved
is already there on that machine.

Is there any way to manually fill the pool the first time (or similar method)
to save having to move all the files across the link distance link on the first
backup?

I tried to answer my own question by inspecting the files in under the hostname
directory in /var/lib/backuppc/pc   but it seems the files have characters
appended to their names and so forth so wasn't immediately obvious how to
manually work on that.

thanks
matt