BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)

2012-11-19 16:05:57
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)
From: Markus <universe AT truemetal DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 22:03:03 +0100
Am 15.11.2012 19:20, schrieb Les Mikesell:
> If there are top-level directories segregating the files sensibly you
> could split it into multiple 'shares'.   Otherwise, you could switch
> the xfer method to tar.     Also, I would try something like 'time
> find / |wc -l' on the target system just to see how long it takes to
> walk the directory and how many files are there.

Thanks for all the suggestions and explanations to everyone who replied!

For fun, here's the output of find / | wc -l:

24478753

real 490m35.602s
user 0m21.013s
sys  1m23.305s

25 million files! OMG. find took 8 hours to complete. Nice, hm? :-)

I started another full backup on Friday 21:00 CET and it's still
running, but it started to transfer files after a day or so, finally!

Another box of the same customer has 2.5 files and took 29 hours for the
first full backup. That means the 25 million box' full backup should be
done within 12 days. :-)   But if I understand correctly all future full
backups will be faster. No idea what BackupPC will do after these 12
days, start directly with another full backup? Well, we will see...

If that shouldn't work for some reason I will try these suggestions:

a) Different profiles with aliases
b) Different shares
c) tar
(or a combination of a, b, c)

Unforunately almost all of the files are located in /home in thousands
of subdirectories, so I can't just say "backup /home or /home/1,
/home/2, /home/3 in another profile", but if tar won't work I guess I
will have to dig deeper into the subdirectories for profiles/shares
splitting.

Regards
Markus