BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)

2012-11-15 14:21:22
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] rsync never starts transferring files (but does something)
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 20:19:39 +0100
Hi,

On Thursday 15 November 2012 19:14:53 Markus wrote:
> Your suggestion sounds great. I just found this small how-to on a forum.
> Is this how it works or is there another/better way?
> "Create as many client names as you like, eg: client-share1,
> client-share2, client-share3, client-share4 (replace "client" with the
> real host name and "share" with the share names). In each
> pc/client-xxx/config.pl file, use;
>
> $Conf{ClientNameAlias} = "client";
>
> (where "client" is the real host name). Add any other client-specific
> settings (eg: share name). This way all 4 virtual clients will refer to
> the same real client. All backups happen independently."

I think (I didn't yet have to try it) you can get the same result with a
different approach: Create one server with many shares to back up. At least one
share per filesystem (add --one-filesystem to the rsync parameters) and more
shares for different subdirs on big filesystems.
Then the problem of rsync eating lots of memory should go away as each share
is backed up independ but all will be done in the same run. And you get once
nice filesystem-tree in the backuppc-gui.

Have fun,

Arnold