BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Performance reference (linux --(rsync)-> linux)

2012-11-07 04:41:49
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Performance reference (linux --(rsync)-> linux)
From: "Michael Stowe" <mstowe AT chicago.us.mensa DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 03:40:06 -0600

> Hi Michael, thanks for answering.
>

>> On a full, it looks like my systems generally get around 6Mb/s, and
>> closer
>> to 1Mb/s on an incremental -- comparing the files may not take a lot of
>> bandwidth, but it does take resources on both sides, so what you're
>> seeing
>> may be normal for an incremental, I don't know.
>>
>> My backup server is a Q6600 (4x2.4Ghz) system running Linux kernel
>> 3.5.7,
>> and the file system is xfs on RAID6.
>>
>> On the client side, I selected a client to look at at random, it happens
>> to be running FreeBSD 9.1 and the filesystem is ufs.
>
> Based on the above, I seem to be on the very slow side, incrementals
> considered.
>
> The main difference I see (apart from the RAM that was pointed out by
> Jeff), is the file system. Whilst I am using ext3, you are on xfs. Some
> report xfs performance increase is noticeable. Is that your experience
> and would you think that I should move mine to xfs as well?
>
> I have started another backup last night to gather yet another set of
> numbers to compare with the results you've kindly provided.
>
> Many thanks
>
> Cass

When I migrated to RAID6 a couple of years ago, I tested xfs, jfs, ext3/4,
and in my application, xfs was the performance winner, followed closely by
jfs.  ext3/4 had a relatively poor showing -- your mileage may vary, of
course; the majority of our backups are Windows systems using an rsync
client.  (I'm afraid I'm traveling, so I haven't got more concrete numbers
handy, though I did report them on this list at the time.)

My tests were done on a 6TB RAID6 array, with 2G RAM (the system has
subsequently been upgraded to 8G; it runs a 32-bit kernel with PAE.)