BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Performance reference (linux --(rsync)-> linux)

2012-11-05 14:34:03
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Performance reference (linux --(rsync)-> linux)
From: Cassiano Surek <cass AT surek.co DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 19:02:51 +0000
Hello all,

This is my first post to the list, so please be gentle. :)

I have been running a backuppc server for a while, but recently it has been
running way too slow to be useful.

Bearing in mind that every situation is different, it would be beneficial to
compare the performance of my setup with others to rule out any obvious
bottlenecks.

Please read below the specs for the server and a client, with the reported
speed achieved with that combination.

Server:

Centos 5, Linux 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Mon Nov 12 02:22:48 EST 2007 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
Quad Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.06GHz
2Gb Ram
ext3 raid 1 pool on separate disk/partition
rsync 3.0.6
backuppc 3.2.1 with the latest perl modules installed via perl CPAN.

Client:

Centos 4.9, Linux 2.6.9-103.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Dec 9 04:31:51 EST 2011 i686 i686
i386 GNU/Linux
Dual Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
4Gb Ram
ext3 raid 1
rsync 2.6.3 (client) running via xinetd

Both are connected to the same switch at the data centre using gigabit
interfaces.

This yields:

Backup size: 105.58 Gb (yep, it is quite big)
Speed: 0.29 Mb/s

I believe the above is horrifically slow, but would welcome your wise input.

Should I need to give you more info about machines or connectivity to paint a
clearer picture, please tell me which data is required.

Many thanks,

Cass Surek