BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Performance reference (linux --(rsync)-> linux)

2012-11-07 12:08:18
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Performance reference (linux --(rsync)-> linux)
From: Benjamin Johnson <bafjohnson AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2012 17:07:12 +0000
On 7 November 2012 16:42, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:

For some more numbers:  I have a file server with 700GB of data in 400,000 files that takes about 5 hours for an incremental, and about 13 hours for a full.  I have another server that is 3,000GB (3TB) big with 1.4 Million files and it takes about 50 hours for a full and about 20 hours for an incremental.  Both are *substantially* faster than yours.

I'll throw in some of my own numbers here, purely because it's quite interesting to compare.

I have a server with 9 million files - a full takes 49 hours whereas an incremental takes 6 hours. This is across around 500GB of data.

Another has 2 million files - a full takes 10 hours whereas an incremental takes 75 minutes. This is across around 375GB of data.

If we look at one more - with 72 thousand files - a full takes 30 minutes whereas an incremental takes 5 minutes. This is across around 20GB of information.

My BackupPC box is fairly old and is running on 2x Opteron 2212 @ 2Ghz ea. - though it does have 32GB of RAM. The filesystem is running xfs and is mounted from a SAN over iSCSI running disks in RAID-1.

Hope this is of some interest for those who like comparing!

Benjamin