BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds

2012-09-18 10:19:12
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 10:13:58 -0400
John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com> wrote on 09/17/2012 01:30:36 PM:

> AFAIK this is not correct. If checksum caching is enabled, backuppc
> will check the cached checksums against the actual file contents based
> on the setting of the:
>
>   $Conf{RsyncCsumCacheVerifyProb} = 0.10;

Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that.  I knew it was there, but I'd rather have that set to 1.00 than 0.10...  :)

> Also even with checksums turned off, you could have an older copy of
> the file in the pool go bad and you wouldn't know it till you tried to
> restore it, so having checksum off doesn't protect you from bad data
> in the pool except for the most recently used files.

This is perfectly valid.  However, I'm less worried about data that has multiple copies (older != newer) than I am about important data (or data that *becomes* important) but hasn't been modified in enough time so that there is only a single copy of it stored--the same copy in each of, say, six months of backups.

I've had that happen in *more* than one case.  (Another related case is a "vitally important" file that disappeared at least six months ago but *must* be brought back...)

Both of these can be dealt with by duplicate externally managed archives, etc. but this is exponentially more annoying to deal with than BackupPC.  If I can solve a problem there, I would prefer to.  Monolithic 500GB tar files (aka BackupPC archvies) are not user-friendly.

> (We also won't discuss having corruption in putting the current bits
> on disks that trashes the curent backup copy. Which frankly there is
> very little short of zfs/btrfs type filesystem that can provide some
> measure of protection/detection.)

Or, like I said, multiple externally managed archives using separate and redundant medium.  I have that, too.  It's just a big pain to use, that I would rather do nearly anything else than depend on it!  :)

Unfortunately, none of this gets us closer to the source of the terrible performance we're seeing...  :)

Timothy J. Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com