BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds

2012-09-19 14:11:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] backuppc slow rsync speeds
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2012 18:10:38 +0000
On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:22:23PM -0300, Rodrigo Severo wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 12:16 PM, Mark Coetser <mark AT tux-edo.co DOT za>
> wrote:
> > Its the first full run but its taking forever to complete, it was
> > running for nearly 3 days!
> I'm seeing similar issues here.
> Is there any troubleshooting recommended to this kind of problem?

I usually run lsof to see what files rsync has open. Note there are
usually two of them, IIRC one is the child of the other. You want to
do an lsof on the child to see what file it has open and it is backing
up. Use process monitor from sysinternals if you are on windows.

Then use strace/truss to see what system calls are going on. That can
tell you if it's waiting/deadlocked or actually doing something useful
(you should see read/writes if it's working).

If looking at the client side doesn't help try looking at the perl
processes on the server side.

Occasionally the server side and client side processes get into what
looks like a dealock. Both of them just sit there polling for the
other side. Not sure what causes that (one theory some bad info in the
attributes file for the reference dump) but usually forcing a new full
backup gets me past it.

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111