BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question

2012-06-22 16:21:47
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 16:04:22 -0400
Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 06/22/2012 03:51:05 PM:

> Thanks for that Tim. The host OS is CentOS, the backuppc OS is
> ubuntu. The problem lies in the host OS's support, or broken
> support, for the iscsi offload function.

No.  You don't.

> I have tried moving the
> data with dd and all was fine for about an hour then the host
> machine just took a dump and became unusable.

Then your host is broken.  No amount of BackupPC-manipulation is going to change that.

> I had thought about
> using clonezilla but again to get it on the SAN I would have to rely
> on the hosts iSCSI support.

No.  You don't.  Repeating it doesn't make it true.

> My only other option that I can see is
> to stop the backuppc service, and use rsync/netcat/etc to get the
> data off the vm and on to the SAN. This would only use the
> networking and not the iscsi offload as I would just have a separate
> host connected to the SAN and have it writing the data from the
> current backuppc data store.

That is *so* far from your "only other option" it's not even funny.

I am assuming that the host is capable of the following:

Consistently able to successfully read the data on its hard drives.
Consistently able to talk across the network.
Talk to other pieces of hardware (USB drive? eSATA?  NFS-mounted partition?  SMB-mounted partition?)

If it is, there are dozens of ways of getting the data from point A to point B.

Nobody said you would do it *directly*;  you keep telling us that it's broken, and I'll take you at your word on that.  So widen your vision a bit...

> I want to find another solution, a
> faster one if possible, but I think I am limited by the not being
> able to use iSCSI issue.

You are limited only because you are allowing yourself to be limited.  Your broken CentOS system is the ONLY COMPUTER YOU HAVE ACCESS TO that can talk iSCSI?  If so, change that.  If not, you can think of NO WAY TO TALK TO THAT OTHER COMPUTER from your broken CentOS system?  If so, figure out a way that you can!

You keep saying "I can't talk iSCSI from my CentOS system.  I must talk iSCSI from my CentOS system to get it on the SAN.  HELP!"  Do you see the problem with this?

Until you change one of those underlying assumptions, there will be no answer.  Personally, I think the second assumption (I must talk iSCSI from my CentOS system) is the easier one to change.  Change it.

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com