BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question

2012-06-22 14:38:37
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question
From: Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 13:37:17 -0500
Thanks for the reply Les. Unfortunately setting up a "new backuppc"
and leaving the old is not an option in our case. Here is our
situation:

When we initially ordered this server we ordered it with 32GB ram,
dual quad-core xeon's, and 8x 2TB drives. We had to pass it off as a
"backup server" to get the funding through. So as soon as we got it, I
setup Xen on the physical host and then got to carving out LV's for
virtual machines. One of which was the 6TB for the backuppc store. Now
here we are a few years later and we are wanting to remove the disks
from this host and swap them with another physical server that has 8x
750GB drives. This is so that we can move the backuppc server onto the
physical host and to a different building away from the hosts it is
backing up. So I have to move everything off this physical host,
including the 6TB backuppc data store. I am trying to move everything
I can to the SAN. However my problem with moving stuff is compounded
by the version of CentOS we are running having issues with the hosts
iscsi offload driver. So to get all the other servers off this host we
are recreating them on a separate host and manually rsync'ing the
configs and such over to the new hosts. This still leaves the backuppc
data. I don't have a problem doing the rsync way if it is the only
reasonable option. However I wanted to run it by you guys to make sure
I wasn't missing something obvious.