BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question

2012-06-22 17:05:55
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 17:03:57 -0400
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote on 06/22/2012 04:49:52 PM:

> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>

> To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support"
> <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>,

> Date: 06/22/2012 04:51 PM
> Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Yet another "moving backuppc" question
>
> On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Kameleon <kameleon25 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> >
> > Yes the host can talk just about any other way besides iSCSI to another
> > host. I never said it couldn't. Hence why I was going to resort tothe rsync
> > method.
>
> Why can't the guest talk to iscsi?  Or reboot the guest (or even host)
> with a recent ubuntu-based clonezilla-live and have it write the image
> copied to an NFS export from a different system that has its disks on
> the SAN?
>
> > So my thinking is that I can simply setup another physical host that does
> > not have the iSCSI issue, create a share or similar on it that the current
> > host can access and has no problem writing to, and then copy the data over
> > to the SAN. Simple enough.
>
> If the SAN is just a temporary copy that you are going to reload
> elsewhere, the clonezilla image copy should be the perfect storage
> format.

Agreed in every way (and in fact, already suggested!).

I still come back to my original statement:  you are painting yourself into the corner yourself.  After you were given a half-dozen different ways to do what you want and I mention that what you want is *not* at all what you should *actually* want, you then give us several paragraphs about how you know that's not what you want, but you just *have* to do it your way for all of a zillion seemingly logical steps that define exactly how you *must* do it.

Great.  Have fun with that.

Oddly enough, I was reading this Wikipedia article seconds before your e-mail came in:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question

You are needlessly making this more complex than it needs to be.  Take a little bit of time, and think about all of the dozens of ways you have of solving this.  There are easier ways.

I wish you success with this.  But I'm out of this thread....

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com