BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Update on BackupPC Development / Is backuppc dead?

2012-06-14 21:08:40
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Update on BackupPC Development / Is backuppc dead?
From: higuita <higuita AT GMX DOT net>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2012 02:06:50 +0100
On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 22:21:46 +0200, Philipp Raschdorff

> No updates in nearly two years sounds strange to me.
> Questions:
> 1) Is BackupPC development dead?

        Backuppc always had a slow and silent development and version 4
will change many things, so its normal to not see any changes

        But dont worry, taking a few minor errors (most with patchs
or workarounds over the net), current backuppc works well.

> 2) Windows 7 and BackupPC ... will it work?

        It works fine, you can use it with several types of backup, but
these is what mot people want, backup via rsyncd (started only when
the backup is needed via windows rpc calls) and with VSS support

http://www.goodjobsucking.com/?p=62

        that gave 2 packages to help the admin to setup things:

 http://caravela.homelinux.net/~higuita/backuppc/  (mine)
 http://www.michaelstowe.com/backuppc/          (Michael Stowe)

        Mine is easier to install for unix/linux admins (its a simple
copy, with smbnetfs its great for scripting), Michael one is easier for
windows admins, for user knowledge users or for few machines. Also,
Micheal also have WOL support, but i want to add that also in a few
weeks.

        Either way, any VSS problem, please check the goodjobsucking.com
site, as i add all the problems and solutions i found when i installed
over 500 windows clients with windows xp, vista, 7, 2003, 2008, 32bit
and 64bit. After the initial setup, it usually works well (any problem
just reboot the windows and confirm that you have enough free space)

        Other method popular is to use ssh in windows:

http://majentis.com/2011/01/03/backuppc-with-sshrsyncvss-on-windows-server/
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~cdunne/projs/backuppc_guide.html

        So yes, BackupPC works fine on Unix/Linux/*BSD, MacOSX and all
Windows above 2000 (below XP you don't have VSS, but can still backup
without it)

Good luck
higuita
--
Naturally the common people don't want war... but after all it is the
leaders of a country who determine the policy, and it is always a