BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] CmdQueueNice

2012-06-07 09:06:45
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] CmdQueueNice
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2012 08:05:33 -0500
On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 3:42 AM, Tyler J. Wagner <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
wrote:
> On 2012-06-06 17:45, Jeffrey J. Kosowsky wrote:
>> I am able to achieve most of what you wish by doing most of my
>> customization in the individual host-specific config files since
>> variables set there override variables set in config.pl
>>
>> Alternatively, one could add a line of perl code at the end of the
>> master config.pl file to source a set of customizations that would
>> again overwrite the defaults. Then after an upgrade, you would only
>> need to add back that sourcing line
>
> The standard behaviour is that the daemon uses a default value if no
> setting is found in the config file. Config files are for configuration
> (away from defaults). Unfortunately, this isn't the case here.

But there are 'package' defaults for code/configs as shipped and
updated in a distribution and 'local' defaults that the admin usually
wants to keep - and which will conflict with updates of the package.
 Applications are typically developed with the idea that anyone using
them will just modify the source code if they want their own changes,
but then are later civilized into deb/rpm packages for normal people
to install.  And when that happens, sometimes the packager will come
up with a way to be able to supply configs that can be updated while
preserving some local changes without having to manually merge files.