BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Migration, Fedora 8 and BackupPC_tarPCCopy

2012-05-24 09:45:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Migration, Fedora 8 and BackupPC_tarPCCopy
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2012 09:30:05 -0400

On May 23, 2012, at 10:32 PM, "ad^2" <adsquaired AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> Correct. As I mentioned in the original post.
>
> The volume had about 1TB of other data. A block level copy would have
> taken to long.

I can't argue with the "too long" part: if your requirement was that the
data copy over in milliseconds, nothing would copy the data over fast
enough.

However, copying the file system at the block level is the fastest way to
copy the data. And assuming gigabit ethernet between two computers, you
should be able to get at least 50 MB per second of data transferred.  A
terabyte of data would take in the neighborhood of 200 seconds to copy
over.  Even if for some reason you could only get half that performance,
you would be talking about less than 10 minutes to copy that much data.

I'm really not telling you that the way you've done it is a bad way to do
it: I almost never copy data from one BackupPC to the other. I do it the
way you did it: set up a new server, and keep the old server around until I
don't care about the data anymore. In my case, we don't really keep the
data on our backup servers for more than a period of a few months.

However, it seemed a bunch of people replied about making tar copies, and
waiting for a time period measured in *days* for it to finish. I was
wondering what was so unique and important that caused people to do it that
way. Other than changing filesystem types, I just didn't see it.
Timothy J. Massey

Sent from my iPhone