BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Migration, Fedora 8 and BackupPC_tarPCCopy

2012-05-23 11:37:06
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Migration, Fedora 8 and BackupPC_tarPCCopy
From: Trey Dockendorf <treydock AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 10:36:12 -0500

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Trey Dockendorf <treydock AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 8:21 PM, ad^2 <adsquaired AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
Now that I have the system updated with the latest version I decided
to test the script on the same system. It still does not work and
produces the same error.

Argument "topdir/pc" must be an absolute path starting with "topdir"
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Does anyone know if this script does work?

Thx

ad^2

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 6:06 PM, ad^2 <adeezainya AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> From what I have read even though tar supports a hardlink option it
> will not do the trick with BackupPC. Have you use tar to copy the
> __TOPDIR__/pc directory?
>
> Anyway, I went with the rebuild and let BackupPC recreate the pool
> option. I copied the configuration files to retain all the previous
> system's settings. It worked and it was fast to setup.
>
> Thanks
>
> On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 12:10 PM, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom
> <chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:
>> On 05/22 11:46 , ad^2 wrote:
>>> I have a BackupPC server running an older unsupported version of
>>> Fedora. I have new server with more disk space and an up to date
>>> operating system. The goal is to migrate all the information over to
>>> the new server
>>>
>>> DD is not an option because the device on the existing BackupPC server
>>> contains more than just BackupPC data. It would take to long and I
>>> can't unmount the disk without effecting users.
>>>
>>> I tried running BackupPC_tarPCCopy but the "Argument
>>> /var/lib/BackupPC/pc must be an absolute path starting with
>>> /var/lib/BackupPC/" error is displayed.
>>>
>>> Is my only option to start creating the new pool from scratch? Or, is
>>> there another way to copy the hardlinks created by BackupPC to the new
>>> server?
>>

>> I've used tar to capture all of /var/lib/backuppc (or whatever the path is
>> on your box) and pipe it to netcat to send it across the wire. This can take
>> a few days tho, during which your backup system is offline. If you need to
>> preserve historic data going back months or years tho, it may be the way to
>> go.
>>
>> Otherwise, just building a new backup server, moving the config over to it,
>> and keeping the old one around until the data can be considered 'expired' is
>> the best option.
>>
>> --
>> Carl Soderstrom
>> Systems Administrator
>> Real-Time Enterprises
>> www.real-time.com

> --
> ad^2

I can confirm that the BackupPC_tarPCCopy does work as I recently moved about 1TB (~3TB before pooling / compression) of backups from one side of my campus to another from CentOS 5.6 x86 to CentOS 6.2 x86_64.  Here's the exact command I used...

On the new server I ran these commands:
mount /dev/vg_backups/lv_backups0 /backups-new
mount -t nfs -o nolock <old server IP>:/backups /backups
/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy /backups/pc | tar xvPf -

I mounted to the new system using old sytem's path so that the command would work.  That command then ran for ~3 days and my entire pool was then on the new storage system.  I confirmed recently that everything copied correctly as I had to restore an entire system from backup about a week later.

Hope that helps

- Trey

Sorry forgot to add a key part of how it knew to use the /backup-new path :P

mkdir /backups
mkdir /backups-new
mount /dev/vg_backups/lv_backups0 /backups-new
mount -t nfs -o nolock <old server IP>:/backups /backups
cd /backups-new/pc
/usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_tarPCCopy /backups/pc | tar xvPf -

The tarPCCopy will copy the existing pool, in my case '/backups/pc' to the current directory

Then after transfer
umount /backups /backups-new