BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Migration, Fedora 8 and BackupPC_tarPCCopy

2012-05-23 21:19:58
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] BackupPC Migration, Fedora 8 and BackupPC_tarPCCopy
From: Trey Dockendorf <treydock AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 20:18:40 -0500

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 1:25 PM, Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com> wrote:

On May 23, 2012, at 11:58 AM, "Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom"
<chrome AT real-time DOT com> wrote:

> On 05/22 08:18 , ad^2 wrote:
> > >From what I have read even though tar supports a hardlink option it
> > will not do the trick with BackupPC. Have you use tar to copy the
> > __TOPDIR__/pc directory?
>
> Yes. Works fine using 'cd /var/lib/backuppc/; tar cpf - | nc
> targethost.domain.tld 8888' (and obviously having a receiving netcat on
the
> opposite side).

Just out of curiosity, what is the advantage of using tar in this fashion
rather than, say, copying over the data partition at the block level? If
you need more space, you could then grow the file system.

Obviously, if there's something you don't like about the old filesystem,
tar would work out better (such as changing filesystem type or something).
But I'm wondering if there is some other reason that I might be missing.

Timothy J. Massey
Sent from my iPhone

My guess is the backup directory was not on it's own LVM or mount point so a block level copy would grab more than just the topdir.  In my case I was going from xfs to ext4 so the tar method was required.