BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Correct rsync parameters for doing incremental transfers of large image-files

2012-05-14 20:48:01
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Correct rsync parameters for doing incremental transfers of large image-files
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 19:46:44 -0500
On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 6:34 PM, Andreas Piening
<andreas.piening AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> There are already two USB-disks that are swapped every few days and I copy
> nightly images on the currently connected drive. Some weeks ago, the office
> had a water-pipe break. The water has been stopped early enough so there was
> no damage, but my customer assigned me to create a external backup solution.
> He wants me to be able to completely restore the system including the
> virtual machines if someone breaks into the office and steals the hardware
> ore something like that. If this happens, I need at least one day to buy new
> hardware. But the point is that I need to be able to restore the system
> afterwards to a working state just like it was one day before the disaster
> happens.

My point was that if you snapshot locally, then remotely back up the
snapshot you can have a much longer time to complete the copy - and
you have the option to spit it into small pieces.  You still do need
the offsite copy.

> As I understand the rsync functionality the algorithm is able to do in-file
> incremental updates. My problem is just that I can't figure out what
> prevents it from working in my case...

Backuppc's rsync isn't going to do an in-file update.  It will merge
the diffs to the extent it can find them into a new complete copy.
The stock rsync can update in place, but then you have the problem
that an incomplete copy will leave the remote instance corrupt.