BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring complete virtualized Windows-Servers / Saving MBR

2012-04-16 23:50:27
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring complete virtualized Windows-Servers / Saving MBR
From: Tim Fletcher <tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 20:43:20 +0100
On 16/04/12 11:50, Andreas Piening wrote:
> Hi,
>
> thank you for your response.
>
> At the moment I don't use disk images. Instead I use LVM volumes which are
> directly connected to my KVM-machines.
> There is a way like creating images of the LVM volumes with a image tool like
> partimage. These images would be compressed like 50GB in combined size, no
> problem to copy it to an external usb drive but much data to transfer over a
> VDSL50 internet connection.
> The point is that the customer wants me to backup the whole system
> (real-server including 2 VMs) over the network to a different location. So
> when the server gets unusable damaged for instance by beeing flooded with
> water because of a pipe-break, or the system gets stolen, I should be able to
> buy new hardware and get back to the state one day before the disaster
> occurred.
>
> I like the efficient way of file based backups backupPC uses, so I ask for
> experiences on that. But maybe I should search for a partition image tool
> that supports incremental backups. I only know of Acronis True Image but this
> is a commercial (and not cheap) way.

If you rip the LVM disk images to a file backuppc will just backup the
changes as that's how rsync works, however this requires you to the
storage to image the disk to a working location.

Your other option if you are looking for disaster recovery is something
like DRDB and a live snapshot of the VMs to a remote location. This is
not backup as the remote image is updated live so make a change and it's
replicated to the remote location very quickly, but it is a DR option.

--
Tim Fletcher<tim AT night-shade.org DOT uk>