BackupPC-users

[BackupPC-users] Restoring complete virtualized Windows-Servers / Saving MBR

2012-04-16 00:33:08
Subject: [BackupPC-users] Restoring complete virtualized Windows-Servers / Saving MBR
From: Andreas Piening <andreas.piening AT gmail DOT com>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 02:37:20 +0200
Hello BackupPC-Users,

I am planing to use BackupPC to backup a server with 2 virtual machines over
the network and I have a few questions on that.
Following scenario:
=> The server is linux-based (ssh/rsync available)
=> There are 2 virtual machines (KVM) running Windows Server 2008 R2 64 bit
=> Each virtual server uses 2 LVM volumes as their system disks
=> I need to be able to completely restore the system including the virtual
machines if the machine gets lost, or damaged to a non-repairable state
=> I can backup the linux system via rsync. I can create R/O snapshots for the
LVM-volumes used by the virtual machines (KVM) and backup them. This way I can
do the backup without stopping the machines. Moreover I can use rsync instead
of SMB which supports compression on the network and has better performance,
right?

Here are my questions:
=> If i want to restore the virtualized Windows Server 2008 machines, is it
enough to mount the lvm-volumes RW and copy all files back via BackupPC/rsync?
Do I need an additional MBR-backup to get the volume bootable after restore?
May I run into file permission issues or problems with special attributes,
because the windows-servers are using NTFS as their filesystems. How can I
handle this?
=> BackupPC normally allows me to download files or folders from the
backup-set, or restore them to the same destination where they're backuped
from. Will I be able to restore via rsync to another location of my choice (for
instance when I want to re-install the system on new hardware)?

If there is some documentation which gives me hints on that, feel free to point
me on this.

Thank you in advance,

Andreas Piening