BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring complete virtualized Windows-Servers / Saving MBR

2012-04-16 03:29:59
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Restoring complete virtualized Windows-Servers / Saving MBR
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 14:28:42 +0700
Yes, I see BackupPC as a solution for what I call "data archive" backups, as opposed to "full host bare-metal".

For the latter wrt physical machines I tend to do relatively infrequent "image snapshots" of the boot and system partitions, keeping frequently-changing "working data" on separate partitions, which are backed up by BPC.

I treat VM images as part of a third category, together with large media files, either manually or via scripts, simply copying them to external (esata) drives that get rotated offsite.

For my use case, it would simply be impractical to have BPC keep so many multiple copies of old versions of this third category, they're just too large. The working data handled by the VMs is backed up by BPC (usually via a central filer), but not the OS/boot partitions.