BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] problems on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0

2012-04-11 17:45:48
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] problems on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.0
From: Stefan Peter <s_peter AT swissonline DOT ch>
To: backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 23:44:23 +0200
Dear Shang-Lin Chen,

On 04/11/2012 09:17 PM, Shang-Lin Chen wrote:
> I can ssh to the remote user from the backuppc server without a problem.
> I get a shell prompt. When I run the backuppc rsync command
> [backuppc@bpcserver ~]$ /usr/bin/ssh -t -t -q -x -l backuppc
> remoteserver  /usr/bin/rsync --server --sender --numeric-ids --perms
> --owner --group -D --links --hard-links --times --block-size=2048
> --recursive --one-file-system --ignore-times . /home/backuppc/
>
> I get a weird symbol, and it sits there. I think this is the correct
> response because the same thing happens when I run the backuppc command
> to connect to a different remote server whose backups run successfully.

I believe you. However, if I remember correctly, backuppc does implement
a rsync client hand coded in perl that is meant to communicate with the
rsync server you start up with the command above. The 'weird symbol'
mentioned above is a handshake sequence used to negotiate the rsync
protocol between the two. Backuppc 'speaks' protocol version 28 only, so
any higher version displayed indicates a failure during this handshake.
Most of these failures mentioned on this mailing list have been caused
by additional messages issued by the client after the ssh login. These
messages will be interpreted as the handshake sequence by the backuppc
server. Unfortunately, the backuppc server does not bail out with a
sensible error message upon receiving an inappropriate protocol version
(Why not?) and because the handshake has not been successful, the
connection hangs (and will time out eventually).

If you have a client that does not exhibit the problem mentioned, record
the screen output of an ssh connection from the backuppc server/backuppc
user to this client. Then, compare its output to the one from the
failing client. I'm sure you will find additional messages from the
failing client.

Regards

Stefan Peter

--
"In summary, I think you are trying to solve a problem that may not
need to be solved, using a tool that is not meant to solve it, without