BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Ssh/Rsync transfer fails intermittently

2012-03-06 14:21:19
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Ssh/Rsync transfer fails intermittently
From: Chris Mavrakis <cmavr8 AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 21:19:14 +0200
Thanks again for your answers.
I just did subsequent full backups until all 5GB of data were copied (usually getting ~120MB transferred each time).

Then, an incremental backup takes less than an hour so it works ok!
But if I happen to have big changes I might implement the custom rsync method..

Also, I put -C and I'll see how much more it will download in 1h01'.

Thanks!

Chris Mavrakis
cmavrakis.com

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 6:53 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 8:22 AM, Chris Mavrakis <cmavr8 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Ok, I verified it, whatever one does, the ssh connection is terminated after
> 1h1'. So the only "solution" to this would be to have backuppc retry again
> and again until the sum of the files is transfered, and the final backup is
> successful :).
>
> Maybe I can simulate this behavior by setting
>>
>> $Conf{IncrPeriod} = 0.03;
>
> (roughly every 40 minutes) for the first copy of the files, and then reset
> it back to the default 0.97.

Incremental runs will start from the beginning each time.   An
incomplete full run should result in a 'partial' backup and pick up
from there on the next attempt, though. So force a full and keep doing
it until it completes.   It might help a little to add the '-C' option
to ssh for compression if you haven't already.   And perhaps you can
adjust the incrementals to use levels or do fulls more frequently to
not have so much data to  copy at once.

If you have enough disk space locally, you might even use a scripted
rsync to do the initial copy, then let backuppc copy that for history.
 A native rsync will be somewhat faster, can use the -z option for
compression, and can be restarted without much of a speed penalty.