BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] XferLog.z : How do I read this thing?

2012-02-10 10:36:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] XferLog.z : How do I read this thing?
From: "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:33:38 -0500
Timothy J Massey wrote at about 09:52:03 -0500 on Friday, February 10, 2012:
 > "Jeffrey J. Kosowsky" <backuppc AT kosowsky DOT org> wrote on 02/10/2012
 > 08:55:34
 > AM:
 >
 > > Timothy J Massey wrote at about 17:40:43 -0500 on Thursday, February 9,
 > 2012:
 > At the price of making it, at a very minimum, very awkward to deal with. I
 > can't easily cat, grep, tail, etc.  I have to perform jumping-jacks to do
 > any of these things, just so the files can be compressed.

The log files can be quite long and they contain a lot of
redundancy allowing for very high compression levels . Compression is
a good idea here!

 > And why would *log* files necessarily be handled consistently with backup
 > data files?  Do image manipulation programs store their log files in
 > .GIF's?

I think it is very *clever* to use the same pooling and compression
scheme for both the backup files and the metadata -- whether attrib
files or log files. You may think differently, but simply calling it
"the dumbest" idea ever shows both a lack of understanding and
appreciation of the work done by Craig, your smiley notwithstanding.

 > > Because it uses zLib compression and I believe .Z is a common
 > > extension for that. This is not the DOS/Windows world where you just
 > > willy-nilly make up new 3 letter extensions for every program under
 > > the sun.
 >
 > No.  .Z is *not* simply an extension for "I used zLib on this".  .Z is the
 > extension used for files created by the "compress" command.  Try using the
 > "compress" command on a BackupPC log file...

The point is that both 'compress' and BackupPC use 'zlib' compression,
hence rather than creating some non-standard new suffix, Craig chose
to use an existing standard to signal that it similarly uses
zlib. Again, you may have different tastes, but what Craig did makes
perfect sense to me by reminding me that the files are indeed compressed.

 > And whether UNIX or DOS, having two *incompatible* file types share the
 > same extension is just a really bad idea.  Would you expect to find a .gz
 > file that couldn't be handled by gzip?!?

As many people have already told you, the log files are meant to be
read by the GUI. If you want to manually read and parse them yourself,
you are welcome to, but since they are not intended to be accessed
directly by users there was no need to be pedantic in the suffix
naming convention.

> Oh, excuse me, was that neither helpful nor intelligent?

You are the one who called this "the dumbest idea". It's not "dumb" at
all, it just doesn't do what you want or expect it to do. If you don't
like it and would like an alternative option to have non-compressed
log files, then stop griping and either write your own code to add the
new functionality or pay someone else to write it. I'm really sick of
people who spend their time complaining rather than constructively
contributing back.