BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] XferLog.z : How do I read this thing?

2012-02-09 17:42:34
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] XferLog.z : How do I read this thing?
From: Timothy J Massey <tmassey AT obscorp DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2012 17:40:43 -0500
Bowie Bailey <Bowie_Bailey AT BUC DOT com> wrote on 02/09/2012 05:01:32 PM:

> On 2/9/2012 4:51 PM, Timothy J Massey wrote:
> > Hello!
> >
> > I've set up a new backup server, and for the first time I haven't
> > disabled compression.  BackupPC is now creating log files in (what it
> > is claiming is) .z format.  How do I read these?  I've tried zcat
> > ("not in gzip format"), uncompress (no error, but no file), and unzip
> > (end of central directory not found).  "file XferLog.0.z" says that
> > this file is "data" (which doesn't help...).
> >
> > So, how do I read these files, and even better:  how do I go back to
> > my plaintext logs?
> >
> > (I *knew* there were great reasons why I have always immediately
> > disable compresson on all of my backup servers!  :)  )
>
> Backuppc uses a special compression format.  You can read it with the
> BackupPC_zcat program.  On my machine, it is located in
> /usr/local/BackupPC/bin.

I love BackupPC, but that is the *dumbest* thing *ever*.  (Sorry, Craig!  :)  ).

And even if you for some reason thought that was a *brilliant* idea, why wouldn't you change the extension?  Would bpz be so hard?  :)

Tim Massey

Out of the Box Solutions, Inc.
Creative IT Solutions Made Simple!

http://www.OutOfTheBoxSolutions.com