BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete old backups when disk full?

2012-01-18 03:15:42
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Delete old backups when disk full?
From: "Tyler J. Wagner" <tyler AT tolaris DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2012 09:13:50 +0100
No. BackupPC has no real tracking of "unique disk space used by backup"
because that doesn't really exist.

The *pool* uses disk space. Deleting single older backups will (1) free no
space at all right away, (2) lead to some free space once the next
BackupPcNightly runs, and (3) the amount freed will not be known beforehand.

Regards,
Tyler

On 2012-01-17 23:57, Zach La Celle wrote:
> I'm wondering if backuppc has some functionality where, if a backup of a
> machine is projected to fill the disk (or maybe if the disk is over a
> certain capacity when the backup starts) BackupPC will remove old
> backups?  This would be nice because, ideally, I'd like to keep as many
> backups as possible given the disk size, not limit myself to N full
> backups per machine and guess at the value which will bring me closest
> to filling the disk.
>
> Also, if the disk does get too full, is there a way to disable new
> backups but allow it to run the nightly pooling and compression routines?

"Religion is the opiate of the masses, so long as the masses are straight.
However, amass a bunch of lesbians and you're going to need actual drugs."
   -- OKCupid Blog, with apologies to Karl Marx
      http://blog.okcupid.com/index.php/gay-sex-vs-straight-sex/