BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] 8.030.000, Too much files to backup ?

2011-12-19 23:33:44
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] 8.030.000, Too much files to backup ?
From: "Pedro M. S. Oliveira" <pmsoliveira AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jean Spirat <jean.spirat AT squirk DOT org>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 04:31:38 +0000

sorry to take long to reply.
yes it saves me a lot of time,  let me explain.
although I have a fast san and servers the time for fetching lots of small files is high,  the max bandwidth i could get was about 5MB/s, increasing concurrecy i can get about 20-40MB/s depending on what im backingup at the moment.  this way i can get more out of the san and backup server. if i increase concurrency even more i can reach higher performance but i don't want to steal all io available for backuppc, but to be sincere I don't need it anyway as i get really good performance this way.
This setup is running on a large finantional group and it outperforms very expensive (and complex) proprietary solutions.

the backuppc should have a fairly amount of ram,  cpu,  and isn't virtualized. in my case a 4 core server and 8GB ram (although it swaps a bit), i'm also using ssh+ rsync which add some overhead but not critical in any way.

cheers
pedro
Sent from my galaxy nexus.
www.linux-geex. com