BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Scary problem with USB3...

2011-12-16 06:55:52
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Scary problem with USB3...
From: hansbkk AT gmail DOT com
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 18:54:11 +0700
I highly recommend **against** using any protocol conversion in the
mix "USB to eSATA" or whatever.

True eSATA is fine - obviously the quality of the hardware is an
issue. Firewire is also OK but getting rarer these days.

Internal SATA to eSATA should also not be a problem, not really doing
any conversion there.

Opening drive bays are really cheap and easy, just protect the drive
well for transport.

There are also eSATA "docking stations" that take a bare drive
standing up on the desktop.

Careful about hot swapping, all the hardware in the chain, as well as
the drivers on the OS need to support it, and obviously make sure
nothing's accessing the drive and dismount first.

Unless your data isn't important, then do whatever you like. . .

Learn Windows Azure Live!  Tuesday, Dec 13, 2011