BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Scary problem with USB3...

2011-12-15 14:06:11
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Scary problem with USB3...
From: Arnold Krille <arnold AT arnoldarts DOT de>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 20:04:15 +0100
On Thursday 15 December 2011 19:31:32 Zach La Celle wrote:
> We just upgraded our backup machine and are using an external USB3 hard
> drive for backups.
> Last night, something went wrong, and when I got in this morning I saw
> the following errors on the backup machine:
> [88921.670598] usb 1-1: device not accepting address 0, error -71
> [88921.670665] hub 1-0:1.0: cannot disable port 1 (err = -32)
> [88921.674631] usb 1-1: Device not responding to set address.
> [88921.880971] usb 1-1: Device not responding to set address.
> Could this be caused by BackupPC?  When I unplugged and replugged the
> USB hard drive, it started working, but I'm worried that BackupPC is
> corrupting the drive somehow.

USB has some "features" built in like randomly disconnecting and reconnecting
devices. What is merely an annoyance with keyboards and mice not reacting for
a short moment, gets more awkward with disks disappearing (and thus
unmounting) and reappearing without remounting...
Needless to say that the feature of "reappearing" is optional and missing in
the most crucial use-cases.

Even when USB3 finally has a speed usable for transfering files bigger the a
few
KB in an acceptable time, I wouldn't use for anything of importance. Use esata
when you need something external. Or use drive-bays for hot-swap when you need
to carry around the disks. Of course using a nas-device is also always an
option.

Have fun,

Arnold