BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Scary problem with USB3...

2011-12-15 18:25:15
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Scary problem with USB3...
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Dec 2011 17:23:46 -0600
On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Zach La Celle
<lacelle AT roboticresearch DOT com> wrote:
> I'm sorry, I'm not trying to insinuate anything negative about BackupPC.
>  I've never seen this problem before, and it was during a time period
> when I was writing a ton of data to the drive through backuppc, so I was
> merely checking to see if people had seen this before.  I do not even
> remotely understand everything that BackupPC does.
>
> Regarding some other responses, I'll be sure to try eSATA next time
> instead of USB to see if that tends to be more stable.  I could also use
> internal drives, I suppose...the real reason we're using external disks
> is so that we can replace them and store them off-site every once in a
> while.  Using a pre-packaged drive was simply more convenient.

You can get internal trayless hot-swap SATA bays that work pretty
well.  If the drive is 750G or smaller you can even do it with the
more convenient 2.5" drives.  The WD scorpio black series is notably
faster than the blue version - both need a partition allignment that
works with 4k sectors, though.   Someone might even have a 1TB 2.5 "
drive in the standard height by now.