BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] weird smörgåsbord of errors

2011-12-09 16:23:23
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] weird smörgåsbord of errors
From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 15:20:17 -0600
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 2:50 PM, Michel <forerunnert AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

> The folder I was trying to restore was a harmless one in /raid that
> should have nothing to do with the rest of the system as far as I
> know... It's just the place I store the /home of a completely
> different system.
>
> rsync is not really an alternative for me because at the time the
> backup runs usually only the server is running, not the client (my
> desktop).

Backuppc is perfectly capable of backing itself up with rsync over
ssh.  It's not the most efficient thing to do but not horrible either.
  But you mentioned NFS mounts - where do they originate, and why
can't you talk to that server via ssh/rsync?

>> How have you configured it to back up and restore localhost?   If it
>> isn't using the stock commands over ssh, you may have gotten something
>> wrong in the layers of shell quote escaping and the restore command is
>> being interpreted incorrectly.
>>

> Yes it should back up /etc and /var of localhost (the server). But
> these weren´t selected to be restored.

You didn't answer the question about the commands you changed to back
up localhost.  Or, since that part seems to be working, the more
critical one is the command to restore.  If you are doing something
locally, the commands need to not use the same level of quoting as
they would if they were passed to another shell via ssh.

> I am a little bit further: I found that all applications depending on
> Perl are broken, and I found this in Backuppc log:

I thought this was an effect of a restore gone wrong, not a cause.
Was it broken before the restore?