BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] weird smörgåsbord of errors

2011-12-09 17:51:04
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] weird smörgåsbord of errors
From: Michel <forerunnert AT gmail DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 23:47:04 +0100
>> > Why would your restore to /raid/home/user be affecting things under
>> > /var?   In any case, I'd recommend using rsync over ssh to the server
>> > for the backups instead of backing up the nfs-mounted view.
>> >
>> That is a very good question indeed..
>>
>> The folder I was trying to restore was a harmless one in /raid that
>> should have nothing to do with the rest of the system as far as I
>> know... It's just the place I store the /home of a completely
>> different system.
>
> Could it be that the io of the backuppc process is triggering a hardware
> or software failure in the OS?
>
> Is there anything in dmesg or /var/log ?

Sorry I am not very clear, I was struggling to understand what is
going on myself..

So, this was my use case:
1. client and server running, client has /home mounted from server,
where it is located at /raid/home
2. client is turned off
3. server backs up /raid/home
4. many hours pass
5. I connect to server via web interface and initiate a restore on the
server of /raid/home
6. CRASH!!
7. web interface to backuppc lost, huh?
8. samba lost, huh?
9. try munin webinterface, transmission web interface, everything dead, huh?
10. try to recover from serious disappointment :-(

I was running backuppc with defaults, just enter paths and backup
scheme. I didn´t fiddle with commands and was using it successfully
for a few years. This config was running ~8 months. The new
installation ran only a few hours and did exactly the same thing:
restore same folder from same backup, same result.

I included relevant sections of dmesg and syslog, the rest of syslog
is more of the same without serious OS errors.
Thanks for the help