BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Let me get to the real point

2011-11-17 15:45:50
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Let me get to the real point
From: John Rouillard <rouilj-backuppc AT renesys DOT com>
To: "General list for user discussion, questions and support" <backuppc-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2011 20:43:32 +0000
On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 02:42:51PM -0500, Neal Becker wrote:
> OK, so I did a new test today.
>
> 1. I did a complete reinstall of backuppc on the server.  I removed
> all existing data from /var/lib/backuppc
>
> 2. I ran backup manually:
> /usr/share/BackupPC/bin/BackupPC_dump -v -f nbecker1
>
> [ blah blah ...]
>
> .: md4 doesn't match: will retry in phase 1; file removed
> Out of memory!
> Parent read EOF from child: fatal error!
> Done: 0 files, 0 bytes
> Got fatal error during xfer (Child exited prematurely)
> cmdSystemOrEval: about to system /bin/ping -c 1 -w 3 nbecker1
> cmdSystemOrEval: finished: got output PING nbecker1.hughes.com
> (10.32.112.120)
> 56(84) bytes of data.
> 64 bytes from nbecker1.hughes.com (10.32.112.120): icmp_req=1 ttl=63
> time=0.819
> ms
>
> [...]
> Out of memory, huh?  This machine has 8Gb.

8Gb for the server or client?

> And, this same server has been backing up this same client for the
> last year, until now the client was updated to f16.

Hmm, I wonder if it's the client that was running out of memory.  Are
there a lot more files in the sl6 upgrade than there were in prior os
install? I assume this is rsync over ssh and the rsync process in
enumerating the files can run out of memory on the client.

Are you dumping the entire system (say /) or just a small part of it
(e.g. /etc).

--
                                -- rouilj

John Rouillard       System Administrator
Renesys Corporation  603-244-9084 (cell)  603-643-9300 x 111