BackupPC-users

Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclusion not working with rsync

2011-11-17 18:11:41
Subject: Re: [BackupPC-users] Exclusion not working with rsync
From: Holger Parplies <wbppc AT parplies DOT de>
To: Mark Maciolek <maciolek AT unh DOT edu>, "Steve M. Robbins" <steve AT sumost DOT ca>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2011 00:08:23 +0100
Hi,

Mark Maciolek wrote on 2011-10-27 07:54:26 -0400 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Exclusion not working with rsync]:
> On 10/26/2011 8:49 PM, Steve M. Robbins wrote:
> > I'm backing up my local machine using rsync; see configuration below.
> > Despite the exclusion, I still get /home/steve/Packages in my backup.
> > [...]
> > $Conf{RsyncShareName} = [
> >    '/etc',
> >    '/boot',
> >    '/home',
> >    '/var/mail',
> >    '/var/www',
> >    '/sound+vision'
> > ];
> >
> > $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
> >    '/home' =>  [
> >      '/home/steve/Packages'
> >    ]
> > };
> > [...]
>
> Steve,
>
> You need to change the key /home should be *
>
> $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>    '*' => ['
>      '/home/steve/Packages
>    ]
> };

that is plain wrong. This would, in effect, exclude

        /etc/home/steve/Packages
        /boot/home/steve/Packages
        /home/home/steve/Packages
        /var/mail/home/steve/Packages
        /var/www/home/steve/Packages
        /sound+vision/home/steve/Packages

which does not get you much further than the original exclusion of

        /home/home/steve/Packages

Steve M. Robbins wrote on 2011-10-27 22:11:34 -0500 [Re: [BackupPC-users]
Exclusion not working with rsync]:
> [...]
> Well, experimentation indicates that I need to strip off
> the prefix;

Right. Documentation also indicates that (rsync(1), probably also mentioned in
the BackupPC docs - if you think about the examples in config.pl, they at
least hint at this).

> i.e. change [...] to
>
>  $Conf{BackupFilesExclude} = {
>    '/home' => [
>      'steve/Packages'
>    ]
>  };

Actually, it's

$Conf {BackupFilesExclude} = {
  '/home' => [
        '/steve/Packages'
  ]
};

presuming you *only* want to exclude /home/steve/Packages and not
/home/steve/**/Packages (where "**" matches any number of intermediate
directories).

Regards,
Holger